I had my monitoring appointment on August 8, 2017. When we got the results back, my line and looked perfect and ready for transfer. The clinic decided to move my transfer up 4 days. My Intended Parents were a little nervous to move it up. They asked to do an ultrasound prior to the transfer to be sure everything was perfect before we went ahead. 

The night before the transfer I was both excited and nervous. I wasn’t nervous that the transfer was going to hurt. I was nervous about the possibility that the transfer wouldn’t take, or that my lining would suddenly look bad. When I arrived at the clinic, they took me back right away and performed my ultrasound. They said everything looked fabulous! I was then told to come back in about 2 1/2 hours.  During that time, they would thaw the embryo.

After I had some lunch, I arrived back at the fertility clinic for the transfer. They instruct you to empty your bladder before arriving at the waiting room. Then you need drink as much water as you can until you feel the urge to urinate. (You can’t urinate though.  That’s just when you stop drinking.) They want your bladder very full which helps in 2 important ways. It allows them to see the catheter easier by ultrasound, which helps them transfer and position the embryos properly. It also changes the angle of the uterus, making the process less traumatic for the uterine lining and the embryos.  I was ready to relieve myself about the time they brought me into the room to prepare for the transfer.

In the prep room, there’s a nice comfy chair to sit in while you wait. You wear a gown and a cap on your head.  They also give you a sheet to cover yourself, because we all know hospital gowns don’t cover your backside well! Once I was changed and ready for the transfer, I Skyped with my Intended Parents. It was amazing! I got to see their daughter, who I also carried and delivered almost a year ago. It was lovely speaking with all three of them. The nurse and doctor even came in to say hello.

The doctor came in said it was time for the transfer. I was walked back to the procedure room. I laid down and put my feet in the stirrups.  They performed another ultrasound, externally this time. They said my lining looks even better this way. The coordinator arrived and we started to Skype with my Intended Fathers.

Next step was the transfer.  We looked at the monitor and on the screen we could see the embryo. They pointed it out to us.  It was a little black dot.  Then it was sucked into a catheter and placed into a dish. We could all see the embryo in the dish. The embryo was sucked up again into the catheter tube. They brought the catheter tube into the procedure room. We then moved our vision down to the ultrasound screen. We could see the catheter advancing in my uterus. When it advanced enough, they released the fluid and the embryo. The embryo was transferred.  We were all very excited!  (And it was finally time to relieve myself!)

After I used the restroom, I went back to the prep room and got dressed. I went home and relaxed for the next 48 hours. No cooking. No cleaning. No lifting. I spent the whole weekend laying on the couch, watching TV. 

My first Beta test is scheduled for 8/28.  This blood test will tell us if the pregnancy hormone (hCG) is in my bloodstream. They will also be testing my progesterone and estrogen and levels. Those levels will tell us if we need to make changes to medications. I will not be taking at home pregnancy tests. They make me too nervous! So my next update will be after we receive our Beta test results.  Fingers crossed everyone!

Do you have a question for Ronda? Submit your question below!

[ninja_forms id=38]

Staci Swiderski, CEO and owner of Family Source Consultants has been involved in the field of reproductive medicine since 2002. Staci has vigorously grown the comprehensive egg donation and gestational surrogacy agency to become a worldwide leader in the third-party reproduction field. Staci is a former intended parent herself. She and her husband welcomed their son via gestational surrogacy in 2005. Additionally, Staci had the experience of assisting an infertile couple (AKA Recipient Parents) build their family through her efforts as an egg donor, with her donation resulting in the births of their son and daughter.